18 year old Rachel Keen who goes under the pop star name Raye, even though still very young has been buzzing in the industry for some time now. Before she signed her record label deal with Universal Music Group’s Polydor Records, Raye released her first EP titled ‘Welcome To The Winter’ at age 17 which was very Jhene Aiko and Drake inspired.
A year later, Raye went on to release her second EP that goes under the name ‘SECOND’ which undergoes a more pop commercial sound with edgy beats and a rap feature from Stormzy. The five track EP has given Raye a bigger name for herself and helped her become shortlisted for the BBC Sound of 2017 poll. Today, January 4th 2017 it was announced Raye became an impressive third.
Six fun facts about Raye:
- She got turned down to be on Britain’s Got Talent – Who’s having the last laugh now?
- She is a BRIT School drop out – Having being a pupil for two years and admitted that she learned an extensive ammount, it wasn’t really for her. “…nobody there liked pop music. It’s all cool, underground, indie artists.” Raye told BBC.
- Olly from Years & Years heard her song ‘Hotbox’ and it got her a record deal – A song Raye wrote about the parties she used to go to when at the BRIT school at age 14.
- She supported Jess Glynne on her ‘Take Me Home’ arena tour in late 2016 – “I was really lucky it was a whole tour because I was able to become more confident every night. Obviously it’s a support slot, so you’ve got to work triple as hard, but I ended up bloody loving it.”
- Charli XCX co-wrote her breakout single ‘I, U, Us’ – Charli has writing credits on Raye’s single but the credit was returned when Raye helped XCX to write her latest top 40 hit ‘After the After Party’.
- Has writing credits on Blonde’s UK top 5 smash single ‘All Cried Out’ – The single went on to be a top 10 in Belgium too and sold over 400,000 copies in the UK last year.
Official Music Video for ‘I, U, Us’
She achieved her first top 20 single with Jonas Blue on his hit single ‘By Your Side’
The latest track Raye is a feature on. Jax Jones’ new single ‘You Don’t Know Me’
Second track on her ‘SECOND’ EP titled ‘Shhh’
Raye’s goal is to be as big as the biggest artists out there. Arena tour, platinum selling albums – you name it. Raye’s journey may still be at the beginning but it’s exciting to see where her career will take her in a years time.
Don’t sleep on Raye in 2017.