Eminem is back with his new record ‘The Marshall Mathers LP 2’ a continuation of Eminem’s most acclaimed studio effort, 2000’s ‘The Marshall Mathers LP’. The album features guest appearances from singers Skylar Grey, Rihanna, and fun. frontman Nate Ruess, with the only other rapper appearing on the album being Eminem’s Aftermath label-mate Kendrick Lamar.
The four singles from the album have had a great response from the fans. Those singles being; Berzerk, Survival, Rap God and The Monster. The album will be officially released worldwide on the 5th November 2013.
Track by track review:
- Bad Guy – A 2013 version of Stan in a way but no where near as good. The song is good its just not the best song to open the album with. Also 7 minutes is a little too long for the track as it seems to drag a little. 6/10
- Rhyme or Reason – Amazing sample, it carries the song really well. The first great track on the album. 8/10
- So Much Better – Angry Shady is back. This is men’s anthem for women they are currently hating on. At the end there are funny references to Jay-Z songs he makes fun of. 8/10
- Survival – He opened his summer shows with this track and what a great opener it is. Love at first listen. Skylar Grey does great things to this song. 9/10
- Legacy – The beat is a mix of Cleaning Out My Closet meets Like Toy Soldiers. Chorus and verses go really well together. Eminem on versus and Polina on vocals. 8/10
- A**hole – Great versus but horrible chorus. Its chorus is immature and the lyrics are lame. Skylar Grey doesn’t do anything great on this track. 6/10
- Berzerk – Very ‘in your face’ and Beastie Boys like. Beat is so crazy and contagious it lifts your mood and makes you feel a little crazy. 8/10
- Rap God – The beat kind of takes over the track a little too much but other than that the verses and chorus’ really blend well together. 7/10
- Brainless – Love the old fashioned introduction to the song. One of the best tracks on the album. The chorus is old school Marshall. 9/10
- Stronger Than I Was – This may be one of the most personal tracks on the record but it is pretty weak. The singing chorus and verses are annoying and don’t sound that great at all. 5/10
- The Monster – We have already had the worldwide smash that was ‘Love The Way You Lie’ by Eminem and Rihanna and now we have this. Both artists seem to work really well together. This is another smash hit for sure and another highlight of the record. 9/10
- So Far… – There’s also that one crazy song on each Eminem record right? This is definitely that track on this record. A little all over the place but its supposed to be. 7/10
- Love Game – Very care free and fun track. Unpredictable track since I expected something way more serious but this is much better than the expectations I had. Kendrick Lamar features on the track and both have created a standout track. Another highlight for me. 8/10
- Headlights – Bland and annoying chorus from Nate Reuss but everything Eminem in the song is decent. Personal track about Eminem’s Mum and family life when he was younger. The song also has some touching lyrics about songs he wrote about his Mum during his early career and feeling bad. 7/10
- Evil Twin – Classic Eminem on this one dissing and talking about fellow muscians in the industry. 7/10
Overall album rating: 7/10
Key tracks: So Much Better, Survival, Berzerk, The Monster, Love Game.