PRISM is Katy Perry’s fourth studio album, released on 18th October 2013. The album is the follow up to the huge success that was ‘Teenage Dream’ which was Katy at her so far peak.
The first single released from PRISM was the worldwide #1 hit ‘Roar’ which has received positive reviews throughout. Two promotional singles ‘Walking On Air’ and ‘Dark Horse’ were released before the album was released.
The album’s composition was largely inspired by Swedish dance music artists such as Robyn.
During the 2013 MTV Video Music Awards, Perry revealed to MTV News she chose PRISM as the album title because she “actually finally let the light in and then I was able to create all these songs that were inspired by letting the light in and doing some self-reflection and just kind of working on myself”.
So far PRISM has got to #1 in 6 countries including the UK with openings of over 50,000 and the US with 286,000 copies sold which makes PRISM the largest first week sales in 2013 from a female so far beating Miley Cyrus.
Track by track review:
- Roar – A great first lead single for the album. The synth pop track has such power and energy. 9/10
- Legendary Lovers – This is very single worthy. Great vocals with a slight Coldplay feel to it. 8/10
- Birthday – Cute and sexy song. Very uplifting with a positive vibe. Kind of a Last Friday Night part 2. 8/10
- Walking On Air – 90’s 90’s 90’s!! This is for sure one of Katy’s best songs and this needs to become a proper single with a video. The beat screams a 90’s disco. 10/10
- Unconditionally – Beautiful song that is very classic Katy. The ‘Pearl’ of PRISM. 8/10
- Dark Horse – Very 90’s hip hop beat. Catchy and fun with a twerk vibe to it. One of the highlights of the record. Something Katy hasn’t done before on one of her records. 9/10
- This Is How We Do – Another one of my favourites. Very fun and care free Katy with a great reference to singing Mariah Carey on Karaoke – “Mariah Carey-oke”. 9/10
- International Smile – Daft Punk feel with Kylie vibes too. Sounds a little similar to ‘Last Friday Night’ from her previous record. 8/10
- Ghost – Katy letting her feelings out about getting her heart broken. Beautifully written song with a great dance beat throughout which carries the song well. 7/10
- Love Me – Hasn’t grown on me yet. Some fans describe this as filler and some as their favourite. As of now, its filler to me. 5/10
- This Moment – Very Robyn. The song has her influence for sure on the track but it still feels like a Katy Perry track. 7/10
- Double Rainbow – Masterpiece track written by Sia. Amazing chilled out ballad, kind of takes you to another place when listening to it. 9/10
- By The Grace Of God – Katy going back to her original roots where she made religious music when she was named ‘Katy Hudson’. Beautiful track. 7/10
Overall album rating: 8/10
Key tracks: Roar, Legendary Lovers, Walking On Air, Dark Horse, This Is How We Do.