Canadian rapper Drake is back with his 3rd Studio album ‘Nothing Was The Same’ after 2011’s impressive ‘Take Care’. Work on the record began in 2012 and continued through 2013. The album was then released September 20th 2013.
The album features many other musicians on the tracks. Jay-Z, 2 Chainz, Big Sean and Majid Jordan to name a few.
The first single from the record ‘Start From The Bottom’ received positive reviews and charted really well. The single was a Billboard Hot 100 top 10 single peaking at #6. It then went to go platinum in the States and also in his home country Canada. The single debuted at #71 in the UK singles chart and then the second week charting rose 46 positions to #25.
The second single ‘Hold On, We’re Going Home’ featuring Majid Jordan has been a huge success already going in the top 10 in 7 countries including a #4 position in both the US and the UK being his highest charting single in England.
Nothing Was The Same debuted at #1 on the US Billboard 200 chart with first-week sales of 658,000 which is so far the 2nd highest first week sales of 2013 so far and highest in hip-hop albums in 2 years. The album debuted at #2 in the UK album charts with 61,000 sales which is Drake’s highest peak position to date and highest first week sales too.
Track by track review:
- Tuscan Leather – The production is great and the sampling of Whitney Houston’s ‘I Have Nothing’ vocals in the background puts the song together. 7/10
- Furthest Thing – A grower. The lyrics are so memorable and is one of the highlights of the album. 8/10
- Started From The Bottom – Not his best, not his worst. If this song never happened then nothing would feel missing. 6/10
- Wu-Tang Forever – Love the production. Got that old school chilled R&B vibe to it which Drake is very good at doing. Easily one of the top 3 songs from the record. 9/10
- Own It – Another great produced track. The mix of R&B and Hip-Hop mash very well together here. 8/10
- Worst Behavior – And the amazing production continues to impress. Hip-Hop Drizzy at his best. 8/10
- From Time – Another favourite. A soft song with flawless vocals from Jhene Aiko while raps the rest of the track. 9/10
- Hold On, We’re Going Home – Already in people’s best songs of 2013 list. The best choice to release as a single. It is for sure one of the best songs he has done period. Kudo’s to Drake. 9/10
- Connect – Swangin’ as Drake would sang in this track. Not he best on the album, it’s pretty mediocre. With the album with such a high standard this could have been left off. 5/10
- The Language – The lyrics are great but the song is overall isn’t doing it for me but it has potential. 7/10
- 305 To My City – Another track to grow on me but as of right now it isn’t clicking with me. 7/10
- Too Much – The album finally starts to pick up again. Sampha and Drake are a perfect mix. 8/10
- Pound Cake / Paris Morton Music Part 2 – Two songs mixed into one. I could be wrong but I hear Ellie Goulding sampling in first one. Jay-Z delivers a standard rap too but Paris Morton should be a separate song. Out of the two songs I prefer Paris Morton Music Part 2. 7/10
- Come Thru – Perfect. Very sexual and straight to the point. You’re typical Drake track that reminds you of his older records. 9/10
- All Me – The track features US rappers 2 Chainz and Big Sean. 2 Chainz has the better feature verse. Overall a great effert. 7/10
- The Motion – My absolute favourite off the record. Should not be a deluxe edition track and should be on the standard. 10/10
Overall album rating: 8/10
Drake will promote the record on another tour like his previous. ‘Would You Like A Tour?’ will start October 18th in Pittsburgh and will continue through North Amerca into December to Auburn Hills on the 16th. The tour is yet to announce dates in other countries.