Jessie J is back with her second studio album after releasing the massive 2011 breakthrough album. Who You Are made her a worldwide sensation selling over 2.5 million (over 1.2 million copies in the UK alone) going 4 times platinum in the UK. Jessie was the first female to achieve 6 top 10 singles from one album too.
Alive, Jessie’s second offering was recorded over a 12 month period between May 2012 and June 2013.
The first single from the album ‘Wild’ featuring US rapper Big Sean and UK rapper Dizzee Rascal was released on May 26th 2013. The single was an instant top 5 hit in the UK and went to the top 10/20 in most countries and went platinum in Australia.
The second single ‘It’s My Party’ was a top 3 hit for Jessie in the UK and Alive was released the week after.
The album has debuted at #3 in its first week in the UK with over 30,000 sales being Jessie’s 2nd top 3 album as Who You Are debuted and peaked at #2. The album has achieved top 10 status in Ireland and Australia too so far within its first week.
Track by track review:
- It’s My Party – A fun pop song which we have heard from Jessie before on her track ‘Domino’. Sadly this is just a bad re-make and its a little annoying. 5/10
- Thunder – Powerful and amazing vocals. Thunder is a stand out track. 8/10
- Square One – A grower and not an instant favourite but has potential to stand out after a few listens. 7/10
- Sexy Lady – Very fun and cheeky. Great pop track that is single worthy. 8/10
- Harder We Fall – Amazing. One of my personal favourites. Its relatable and very chilled out. Has a great positive vibe to it. 10/10
- Breathe – Seems to be a fan favourite. This song is a huge mix of Rihanna’s ‘Diamonds’ and David Guetta’s ‘Titanium’. 8/10
- I Miss Her – A beautiful sung ballad which seems to have such a personal story behind it. 7/10
- Daydreamin’ – Another personal favourite of mine. Has a very 80’s funky diva vibe to it that makes you want to move. 10/10
- Excuse My Rude – This is where we get to see the more urban Jessie J comes back. We last saw her do this kinda stuff on her debut single ‘Do It Like A Dude’ and its great to have some of it back. 7/10
- Wild – Killer single. A grower and a risk to release as the first single for the album campaign but it seems to have payed off. Another personal favourite off the album. 10/10
- Gold – Like the title says, this song is gold. 8/10
- Conquer The World – Another personal song from Jessie. She explained at iTunes Festival that this song is about Jessie dreaming to be a star. The track features R&B star Brandy who brings the song together well. Beautiful ballad. 8/10
- Alive – Finishing the standard edition of the album with the album title track just like her debut. Alive is an empowering song that finishes the album off nicely. 7/10
Overall rating out of 10: 7/10
Jessie J will promote this record on tour starting on the 15th this month in the UK & Ireland. She will be headlining her first solo arena tour until November. She will then continue in February when she heads to the US tour to do a joint tour with Robin Thicke. The tour will continue until the end of March.